Hiring a Painter: Yea or Nay?
A fresh coat of paint is a great way to spruce up a room. Whether you choose creamy white, dark purple or light gray, changing up your walls introduces a whole new design element to the space. Now the question is whether to paint the walls yourself or hire a professional to complete the job. There are pros and cons to both options.
Reasons to Hire a Professional Painter
- Save time: Painting a room takes more time than you might think. Even with two people, it could easily take an entire afternoon to paint a single 100-square-foot room, including removing the furniture, laying down the drop cloth and painter’s tape, and putting everything back once the paint is dry. With a professional to complete the job on your behalf, you can go about your normal routine while your home gets painted.
- Avoid the effort: Painting is an arduous task that often results in aching arms, a stiff back and a kinked neck. You get to skip these sore muscles when you hand off the chore of painting to a professional.
- Stay safe: Climbing a ladder to paint a vaulted ceiling could prove dangerous, especially without a second person to spot you. Even paint fumes can be hazardous if you don’t ventilate the space properly. A professional knows how to be safe while painting a room, and you get to stay out of harm’s way.
- End up with professionally painted walls: If you have never painted a room before, you could easily make beginner’s mistakes, such as neglecting to use painter’s tape. A professional is sure to leave clean lines and neat edges on every wall for a beautiful finished product.
Benefits of DIY Painting
- Save money: The biggest reason people consider DIY painting is to save money. However, a DIY job requires you to purchase paint and accessories – including brushes, rollers, extension poles, paint trays and liners, drop cloths, painter’s tape, ladders, and more – costs that may be included in the price to hire a professional. Plus, think of all the time you save! In the end, hiring a professional is usually worth the cost.
- Maintain full control: When you’re in charge, you decide when and how to do the job. You select the grade of paint, determine the best time to work based on your schedule, and choose how many coats to use. Having full control is especially important if you have a specific plan in mind for painting stripes or other geometric patterns on the wall.
Combining industry knowledge, expertise and premium products, the Paint Centers is the place to turn for all your interior and exterior painting needs. Whether you’re looking for high-quality Benjamin Moore paint or you want to hire a painter for the job, our employees can assist with your next big project. Visit the Paint Centers website or stop by one of our Michigan locations for all the help you need.